GPASI.org
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Friday Oct. 27th Regular Meeting and Costume Contest!
3573 Posts in 818 Topics by 137 Members
Latest Member: mcoutinho
* Home Help Search Calendar GPASI Login Register
+  GPASI.org
|-+  Aquarium Keeping
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Looking for help getting a new tank
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking for help getting a new tank  (Read 194 times)
crossbred900
Egg

« on: June 30, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »

Hi, my name is Nathan and first I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm 30 years old. In 2004 I was in a car accident that left me paralyzed from the chest down. For the last 2 years I have been part of a research study through the University of Pittsburgh. I had surgery to implant 4 micro electrode arrays on my brain that I use to control a robotic arm, and receive sensation back from it.  I am the first human to ever have electrodes implanted in the sensory cortex. Here is a playlist of a few videos about this, including from when I met president Obama in October. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-UehttXKgFOyFysBj6yMtmz8X0mwgLhR

Now that I have introduced myself, I will get to the point of this email. I currently have a 75 gallon tank of African cichlids that is leaking and I will need to replace this tank and stand soon, most likely with a 90 gallon because I want to give the fish the best home I can afford, and I think that will be the biggest tank and stand I can afford on my own. I have been emailing companies looking for possible donations of tanks/stands/3d backgrounds, but haven't found much success yet, with the exception of Caribsea donating 80lbs of cichlid sand.. It also seems like the more places I look, the more grand my dream tank becomes. In a perfect world I think I would have a 120g 48.x24x24 acrylic tank with a 3d background. Realistically I’ll be buying a 90g and new stand.

I joined this group hoping that somebody might have any ideas of places to contact that might donate. I also was hoping that I could get help stocking my tank with some peacocks/haps cheaper than a retailer. Once I get a new tank I would be willing to possibly trade my current tank for fish or equipment (looking for a coralife turbo twist or similar) to somebody that would want to reseal it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If you find the research study interesting, or know somebody that would, could you please share the previous link with them as well as this one? https://www.gofundme.com/nathancopeland I’m currently trying to raise funds for a new wheelchair van, partly why I can’t spend as much as I'd like. Even if somebody can’t donate, sharing the link is still very helpful and appreciated.

BrokenBox
GPASI Boardmember
Wiggler

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 07:01:31 AM »

Nathan,

Did anyone contact you? Any progress on you situation with the tank?

~Joe Doyle
crossbred900
Egg

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:03:16 AM »

I have emailed many companies and posted on groups, but have not had any luck. I have pretty much accepted that I will have to buy a new set up. I had really hoped to have a new tank ready before the auction next month. I'm going to try to go to that but my current setback is my van is completely broke down. I think I should have a new van purchased by next week. I also still haven't committed to either a 90 or 120 gallon tank. I think I want 120, but it would be nice to be able to see one up and running to get a better idea of how big it is. Is there only fish at these auctions?
BrokenBox
GPASI Boardmember
Wiggler

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »

Not only fish at auctions. Could also be equipment and tanks. You'll be surprised how cheap tank sell for.
crossbred900
Egg

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »

Not only fish at auctions. Could also be equipment and tanks. You'll be surprised how cheap tank sell for.
I'm at the end stages of purchasing a new van, and as long as I get it before then I plan to come out. Hopefully I can be surprised at how cheap I buy a tank for Smiley
firefromheaven
Fry

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »

You should really check out the used equipment sale at Elmers (https://catalog.elmersaquarium.com/departments/events-137.html).  It's the second Saturday of the month. It opens at 0 Am but you need to get there at 9:30 to be the first one in line if you want to get a good deal on a large tank.  You might want to go in a couple of days early and see if they can accomodate your disability.

I have got great deals on tanks.  I am currently setting up a 72 gallon bow front tank that I paid $25.00 for.  Other tanks I got there include:

240 gallon - $40.00
125 gallon - $25.00
2 75 gallon tanks - $25.00 each

A lot of the large tanks are listed as "leakers" but I've never had to repair any of them.

Age and treachery always beats youth and skill...  Mike
crossbred900
Egg

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 01:19:02 AM »

I ended up giving up and buying a new 120g tank. I'm just waiting on a 3d background to come before I fill it up and transfer the few fish I have. Then the new adventure of stocking it with male peacocks and haps without breaking the bank begins.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: